06/01/2021

Winter News // Letter: Welcome, 21!


Dear friends and art lovers,


I hope this email finds you well! What a year we've had...

I had planned to entitle my last newsletter of the year: "From Paris with Love!"...
Well, this couldn't happen, and - as most people this year - I had to end 2020 where my Covid experience started... 

As I can't stand feeling defeated, let's focus on prospects and promises; we'll rise again, I'm sure. 

So for now, best wishes for the new year to you all. Hope it'll be kind enough and will help us build a better world. 

I also want to thank all of you for your support, friendship or creativity and inspirational spirit! 

This newsletter is not only about my work or my writing, this is about trying to create a community of ideas and support. I hope my words, as free as they are, are somehow helpful in this matter.  
 
Many thanks!
melissa 


-

New Books: 'African' Art at Arnolfini & Bristol Reggae


My main book project for 2021 is the result of my writing residency at the Arnolfini, and will come out here in Bristol in early March. All details here

We're planning an event for early March 2021, hopefully in person at the gallery.
To get to know more, check Arnolfini's website.






In the meantime, my chapter about Bristol reggae is now published in a new book by Palgrave Macmillan just out this month of December 2020: 

Narratives from Beyond the UK Reggae Bassline 
It's been a long process, happy it's out! 

I'm now working on the next project: more on this in 2021, hopefully.


-

MORE ON ART & MUSIC

In the meantime, here are some of my recent articles about creativity:


Why is Arabic Provoking such Controversy in France? — The Markaz Review

'Daydreaming' - 30 Years On - in the Reader's Digest

'‘We Want the Ability, Space & Time to Retell Our Own History’' - on Black History Month in Britain for Byline Times 

-

PODCAST... Last episode of the year

Meanwhile, our Podcast, The Quarantini, has reached 28 episodes!

Episode 28: A Quarantini... 

Check our website in a few days.

And will continue into 2021... 

There will be more good news, more great interviews, once or twice a month. And you can still listen to all previous episodes here: The Quarantini

-

Thank you very much for your interest and support.
It's all hard work and passion, that is what keeps us going.
  
Wishing you all the best for this beginning of the year. 
Send some news if you have a moment!

With warm regards,
melissa 

-

Melissa Chemam
Writer, Cultural Journalist, Reporter
Writer-in-residence @ Arnolfini Gallery
Lecturer in journalism @ UWE Bristol
 

No comments:

Post a Comment