19/09/2022

News // Letter - Summer to Autumn 2022: Back from the road...

 


Dears friends, readers, art/music lovers and fellow journalists,


Greetings from Paris. 


 hope this message finds you all well, after a restorative and / or inspiring  summer. 

Since my last newsletter in June, I managed to travel back between France, Belgium, England and Italy, by train! 

While in Europe, I interviewed artists, reunited with friends, spent a lot of time in the sun, and unfortunately discussed the state of the UK with sadness and dismay...
I'm thinking of building a group to renew out "Entente Cordiale" and not let the devastating consequences of Brexit ruin a hundred years of friendship.

I'm for now writing about British cinema, and how it's received in Europe, by viewers, film lovers and professionals from different countries.

I also hope to invite British artists to discuss and collaborate here in Paris, and European ones to still come to England.

I must say that during my last few months in England, I didn't feel welcome anymore. All consumed by its identity crisis, Britain has rendered its diversity irrelevant, and that only saddens me. I hope to come back to see better days. 

In the meantime, the world is vast, and other places are calling...

For now, let me share my most recent work.

With my best wishes and hoping to see you all soon, keep me posted !

Cheers,
melissa 

-



Focus on Palestinian sound artist 
Maya Al Khaldi 

'Call the Waves': Maya Al Khaldi brings Palestinian rhythmic character to the shores of Wales


Read here:




TMR Berlin

The Markaz Review is a literary arts publication and cultural institution that curates content and programs on the greater Middle East and our communities in diaspora. The Markaz signifies “the center” in Arabic, as well as Persian, Turkish, Hebrew and Urdu.

In recent years, with the flow of refugees from West Asia and Africa streaming toward Europe, many have struggled to find acceptance and asylum in the UK, Germany, and several Nordic countries, but one city stands out as having become a preferred destination among Arab and other Middle Eastern immigrants, and that is BERLIN.

My feature:


The prolific French-Algerian multimedia artist Kader Attia, whose work focuses on colonial and post-colonial history, trauma, and the spaces of repair, had his biggest event in Berlin with the Berlin Biennale. Read here :

https://themarkaz.org/kader-attia-berlin-biennales-curator/



Street Art History: New Stop - Tunisia

A decade after the revolution in Tunisia, urban art has helped transform the nation’s relations with public spaces. Local artists are encouraged to use Arabic as a means of graffiti. Now, a younger generation is ready to bloom, including women.



My feature for The New Arab here: 



Music Column 

An issue each month, around North Africa and South West Asia:





Back to Italia

If you know me, you know I love Italy, and have been more than 25 times, 
from Torino to Palermo.

Because of Covid and Brexit, I had not been able to go again since 2018...

A few images from Milano and Bergamo:





Conversation with Chinonyerem Odimba on "Black British Theatre"

One of the UK's leading British African heritage contemporary theatre companies, tiata fahodzi is about to celebrate its 25th anniversary with a new season of creative initiatives and productions, supporting the future of Black British artists.




The Watford-based tiata fahodzi theatre was founded in September 1997 by playwright and director Femi Elufowoju Jr. It is now under the direction of its fourth artistic director, the playwright Chinonyerem Odimba, for a milestone year named 'Year of the Artist', coinciding with its 25th anniversary.


-

More soon, on my website:  https://sites.google.com/view/melissachemam

-


I'd love to hear from you too! 
Please keep in touch.

With my best wishes,
melissa 

Melissa Chemam
Writer, Journalist, Audio Producer
(BBC, DW, Art UK, The Markaz Review, The New Arab, Toute la Culture...)


No comments:

Post a Comment