24/08/2020

Does diversity exist in the UK folk music scene?

 

Folk Talk Live - Lady Nade & Friends


As part of English Folk Expo's Folk Talk Live event, we hosted this discussion between Lady Nade, Yola, Allison Russell and Kyshona.


-


Lady Nade said: 

I recently put together a talk in connection with English Folk Expo conference. In this session with Grammy Nominated Yola, Kyshona and Allison Russell (Birds of Chicago, Our Native Daughters) I asked; “Does diversity exist in the UK folk music scene?”.

My enduring passion and love affair with music began at the tender age of 14, I recognised that creating music was borne from my desire to have a stable support system and an opportunity to honestly express myself and my personal experiences.

Learning that loss and grief isn’t something one can recover from alone with my music and recipes that I often create to pair with songs, I pride myself on creating a communal experience that everyone can enter into on their terms.

With the complicated times we’re living in, the lockdown has given many of us time for deep reflection and in light of the Black Lives Matter movement I have felt I’ve been given more of an opportunity to be heard and seen.

I hadn't always noticed any difference between myself and my musical peers. However, it became apparent as I progressed that my heritage would play a part in my artistry whether I wanted it to or not. 

Throughout my pursuit to sustain a music career I have faced many barriers: being objectified, working-class background and my accent. These have compounded the prejudices I have already faced and have made it harder to be taken seriously as an artist at times.

Encouraged by the more honest debate being sparked by the BLM protests and Blackout Tuesday.

It has opened up a direct dialogue about inequalities and systematic racism faced by black people. 

Some people have been shocked to realise what has gone on right beneath their noses. It has been brilliant to see people actively engaging in healthy debates and reflecting on the pitfalls of the current status quo.



 
-


“There is no mistaking the tender, powerful, velveteen vocals of
Lady Nade.”  Folk Radio 

"Love her voice - check her out’ "Mark Radcliffe - The Folk Show - BBC Radio2

-


No comments:

Post a Comment