28/10/2021

October > November News//Letter - Algerian Thoughts, New Book and Old Stories



Dear friends, colleagues, culture & art lovers,


I hope this email finds you well!
October disappeared in a loop of time, didn't it?


My end of the Channel, it was warm, busy and very interesting! Focusing on book events, writing and pursuing the conversations on issues such as the "class war", Black History Month, colonial history, but also beauty and creativity...

Here are a few texts and audio programmes - all available for free as usual - I'd love to share with you all.

May November 2021 be as rich and progressive... 


On #Decolonising
17 October 1961 / 2021 - My opinion piece for AJE



Meanwhile, other ghosts from the past were haunting me... 
It's the first time I find the courage to write about this 
part of my family's history... You can read it here

And the American radio NPR asked me to pursue the conversation. 


Here, There... Evenwhere:
African & Diaspora Artists at Arnolfini 
 
In other news, my art book on African & Diaspora artists  at Arnolfini is out too! I worked for a year for the art gallery Arnolfini, here in Bristol, as their writer in residence. I'm so excited to share the result!

The book is available in PDF for educational purposes, and a few physical copies will be available in November, at Arnolfini's bookshop

We also recorded an online discussion with Dr Anne Harbin from UWE, to generate a wider discussion: it'll soon be on Arnolfini's website and on their YouTube Channel. 

Do get in touch if you're interested in reading and/or taking part in our wider discussion! 

KEITH PIPER: INTERVIEW  

ART UK asked me to focus on the work of one of the key artists I interviewed for the aforementioned book: Keith Piper. 

A key member of the Black Art Group in the UK from the early 1980s, he then exhibited worldwide and never ceased to innovate and provoke inspiring art and reflections, relevant for the time. 

His next exhibition will open at the New Art Gallery in Walsall in January 2022.

You can read our conversation here

Journalist in Africa

Timely, I was also recently asked to chat about previous travels by the amazing journalist Chika Oduah, currently based in Nigeria, about our experiences as reporters on the continent and on Western-African relations, one of my favourite subjects... 


It is a very long one, but feel free to have a read:

I AM History

As you know October is also the time of 'Black History Month' in the UK, but I write about different communities' art and history all year long... 

There is so much to see and listen to but here's my latest little contribution: 



The Eyes Magazine - Issue #12

THE EYES #12 > B-SIDE 
PHOTOGRAPHY . AFROPEAN . FUSION 
With Johny Pitts as guest curator

We interviewed the one and only Mad Professor together.

'Soul Music' 
on BBC Radio 4

Finally, I was invited to talk about the song that should be our national anthem, really... 
'Unfinished Sympathy' by Massive Attack, from their debut album 'Blue Lines', released 30 years ago.

This fantastic programme is indeed produced in Bristol and this specific episode will be available from early December.
You'll be able to listen from here:  

A few words about my book on the band here, about 'Blue Lines' here and here



-


I still have a few projects coming up... More about them next year.

My next article, before the end of the year, will be about Lubaina Himid and a piece on contemporary Algerian artists who are dear to my heart... It's for a brand new magazine: the Journal of Creative Pursuit

In the meantime, I'm now teaching 5 different modules in journalism, media production and working in the creative industries - including lectures about films/moving images productions and critique, news programmes, music journalism... I'm grateful to be trusted in these tasks, to learn so much along the way.

-

Feel free to get in touch if any of these ideas above speak to you.
For more on my writing and reflections about art, multiculturalism, post-colonial history, activism, you can also follow my work on TwitterLinkedIn, on my website or via my blog

Many thanks for your attention! 

With my very best wishes,
melissa 

-

Melissa Chemam
Writer, Journalist, Researcher
Writer in residence at Arnolfini Art Gallery
Senior Lecturer in Media & Journalism (Bristol, UK) 




No comments:

Post a Comment