17/06/2024

Stories of cultural activism, then and now

 

Latest post on my Substack Newsletter:


Stories of cultural activism, then and now


From the fight against apartheid to the toppling of colonial statues and demands for reparations, the struggle isn't over.




-


Dear readers,

Sorry for posting twice in one week, but the world is in turmoil, and news is moving fast…

I’m just keen to add my little contributions.


Ten years ago, I came back from a war zone, from a country wrecked by colonialism, and most of the people I know in France didn’t want to hear about it.


To fight this indifference, I decided to focus on activism, and especially cultural activism.

I had so much hope then… I went back to England, and had a few wonderful months.

In the same way, when the pandemic stroke, I focus on possible positive change, activism from grassroots campaigners and from a few artists.


A few months later, I covered the protests denouncing the killing of George Floyd in the USA, while, in Bristol, in West England, and focused on answers to injustices, and thus learned so much on the issues of reparations.


Being based between England and France, the issue of reparations has been pushed forwards in the former then backwards in the latter… And I’m not always so hopeful.

Cultural activism these days is not very prominent in the western world. But grassroots activists are still doing an amazing job.


This week, I decided to speak again about the issue of reparations, in my podcast, produced for RFI.


Demands for reparations

PODCAST - SPOTLIGHT ON AFRICA


Global South amplifies calls for compensation for historical injustices


-


South Africa's cultural resistance



All my stories on our website here: https://www.rfi.fr/en/author/melissa-chemam/


-

La France, Empire

 

par Nicolas Lambert


Until 27/06/24 in Paris’ Theatre de Belleville:

https://www.theatredebelleville.com/fr/la-france-empire

In Avignon, Theatre 11:

https://www.festivaloffavignon.com/spectacles/4131-la-france-empire



“Nicolas Lambert debunks the preconceived ideas of our past, our colonial present. Personal memories and national romance collide. A facetious storyteller, he throws fuel on the fire with the desire to convey the complexity of the story, to track down the unsaid things that we carry together like cumbersome family secrets. And if laughter is never far away, the question remains: can we write a future on the rubble of a distorted past?”



-


Read here:


Stories of cultural activism, then and now




No comments:

Post a Comment