15/03/2012

Back on the African trail

I am based in Europe but I work and write about Africa.

The recent video Kony 2012 sparked a crazy and bubbling spell of reactions on Uganda and the LRA but really, it is difficult to write an article on the issue that could now bring a little more clarity, or to find one!

I have been to Uganda twice, last year during the presidential election in February and later in April, I visited the NorthErn towns of Lira and Guru where the LRA used to be active. All I can say here is that the area is now living again a normal daily life, where farmers have started to grow organic vegetables in order to feed their families and to earn a living. The LRA time is behind them, even though not forgotten or forgiven, but as we can all see from recent interviews, the people of Northen Uganda do not endorse the Kony 2012 video and do not trust those kinds of movements to do any good for their country.

-

In the meantime, I am myself writing a story on Algeria, ahead of the 50th anniversary of its independence from France. I should be able to post a link this week. March 19th commemorates the Evian agreements that put an end to the Algerian war. It will be the first time I write an article about it, a first breach into the mysterious and thick past... I hope it will help some to get a better insight into French-Algerian relations today.

-

Then it will be time to leave for Africa again. This time, I am heading to Liberia, Monrovia for twelve days.

I will get back to it.

''Africa is the future''...

No comments:

Post a Comment