02/01/2023

Winter News // Letter - Getting into 2023...

 

Dear friends, colleagues, art lovers,


I hope that you all are ok.


As often in the early days of a new year, a time of hope and resolutions, I want to send you my best wishes for a happy new year! May 2023 be sweet and hopeful...



Paris 19th, end of December 2022...


I hope you had a beautiful end of the year. It wasn't an easy one worldwide. I hope December treated you well and that this January promises to be even better.



London, mid-December 2022


-


As most of you know, since 2015, my work as a journalist has evolved to combine my international experience (in Africa, the USA, Great Britain, the Middle East, etc.) with a reflection on major cultural issues (art and engagement, activism, multiculturalism, feminism, politics and social change, North/South relations, anti-colonialism, etc.).

I have been able to explore these questions by working with Velvet Film, by reporting for the German international broadcaster DW, and with my writing, especially as an author in residence at the Arnolfini International Art Center, in Bristol, but also at various festivals, through my cultural journalism, on BBC radio 4, and via podcasts.

Since 2020, I have been particularly interested in artists from the SWANA region (South West Asia & North Africa, where my family is from), and their relationship to Europe and the West, but also in the place of contemporary arts in reflections on some of the profound changes of our time. Especially thanks to a few wonderful websites, especially The New Arab and The Markaz Review. Here are some of their latest publications.


Markaz review: 'FREEDOM' issue

Read all the articles here:

My piece on music - Gultrah Sound System: The sound of freedom in Tunisia 




Focus on Tunisia's street art and hip-hop culture

For Up Mag - Portrait of eL Seed:

At the Afrika Eye Film Festival, in Bristol, Nov. 2022:



Meeting Ken Loach & Palestinian / Israeli / British activists
 
The big moment of the end of the year 2022...
I got to meet the legendary British film director in Bristol, and to discuss the role of the BDS movement in the US and the UK, at the Bristol Palestine Film Festival

Arnolfini, Bristol, Dec. 2022


Screening of the film and Q&A at Arnolfini with Ken Loach and Palestinian, Israeli, British activists - info: 

Article: 

 
Since September 2012, I have been in contact with a few cultural centres and art galleries, on both sides of the Channel, in Bristol, London and Paris, and participated in my own way in the development of cultural projects, meetings, events, exhibitions.

I hope to be in England again soon, and to carry on working on projects that keep bringing us closer... On both sides of the English Channel, as much as from all sides of the Mediterranean.


  Hoping to see you all soon here or there!!

   With all the very best wishes again, stay well, 
   melissa


-

Melissa Chemam
Art Writer, Journalist & Audio Producer

Cultural Projects & Events: Arnolfini, Quai 36

 



No comments:

Post a Comment