09/06/2023

June Newsletter: From Paris to the world, via Africa

 

Substack Newsletter


New season, new life? 
Almost.

This month of May brought warmth over Europe. It also called me to accept a new job, and thus to return to my previous life as an African news journalist.

me_assosa_ethiopia.jpg

Writing for the news demands a very different rhythm. I still write features that take me days, but in between other pieces that I have to turn around in less than two hours.

The best part of going back to the news is indeed to connect with so many people, and in particular to reconnect with people I used to interview, work with, ask for insight... All of them still remember at least my name, and have been so helpful so far.

Obviously, us journalists, we're nothing without everyone else... I'm grateful for this position of connection, and dialogue.

I'm still writing about arts and music too, history and politics, and cover Africa way more.
Here below are a few articles and events you might be interested in, I hope.

With all my best wishes, especially to my Bristol people, I miss you tremendously, you're in my thoughts daily.


***


Arts, counter-culture and history

After my talk with Alfredo Jaar at the Goodman Gallery in London, I wrote this piece for Art UK: 


alfredo-jaar-m-chemam.jpg

We talked a lot over lunch then dinner the following day, where I also met with amazing artists like Sonia Boyce and Zineb Sedira, and art historians.

*

During the past couple of months, I also wrote about street art, the history of Bristol's graffiti scene in three parts for the NYC-based magazine UP Magazine.

INKIE - Bristol Massive.jpg

*

The documentary series 'Herstory' sings new song for Saudi Arabia's female musicians

*

Early in July, I'll also have the honour to lead a conversation with the Guyanese-British artist Hew Locke at the Royal Academy of Arts, as part of their delightful Summer Exhibition

I first met Hew Locke in 2022 at the Tate Modern for an interview around his powerful installation 'The Procession' for Art UK too

Do join us if you're in London on 5 July !

hew-locke-tb-commission-47-1.jpg

*

Next art story: feature on Algerian French pioneer woman artist Katia Kameli.
Came out on 9 June on the New Arab.

IMG_7650.JPG

***

As for RFI, I'll always keep an eye on arts, films and music. 
Here are the first pieces I worked on during the spring:
***

On a daily basis, I mainly cover politics, social issues, activism, humanitarian work and responses to wars...

On conflict resolutions

In Sudan, firstly, rapidly becoming one of the most worrying wars of the year, but deeply undercovered: https://www.rfi.fr/en/tag/sudan/


Politics

Like here in Senegal, while the tense debates around next year's election, and the state of the opposition have created lost of violence: 

or there in Nigeria, after the swearing-in of a new president:


 Social issues 

Like LGBTQ+ rights:
&

Refugees and migration issues


Environment

TotalEnergies is sued by the cities New York and Paris, and some of the most important NGOs, a trial that might last up to two years...

UN biodiversity day turns 30, but is the world doing enough?

I hope to travel back to North and Subsaharan Africa later in the year...

***

xJ_kcM73_400x400.jpg

And you can always find my Substack newsletters here, and subscribe if you want, for free of course.



***

Hoping to see you soon...
take good care.

all the best,
melissa x


-


Melissa Chemam

No comments:

Post a Comment