02/04/2012

On Zadie Smith, part II


I have this big crush on Zadie Smith, for her books, her writing, the topics she deals with but also simply for her personality, her talent, intelligence and her style.
I have been able to get closer to the copy of 'On Beauty' I had left in my Paris flat, and I have now purchased 'White Teeth' at the lovely Shakespeare and Co, the Paris 5th arrondissement bookstore.
I am still reading Andre Brink's breathtaking 'The Other Side of Silence', but 'White Teeth' is definitely next on my reading list.  
- -
Meanwhile, any interview from Zadie or article about her work is an inspiration for the moment.
Here is a quote of her interview on literature in the very promising 'Tale of Three Cities' review:
''To me, being a writer is more like being an aerial, than being, well, an 'Ariel'. Things reach this momentum - the amount of books you read and the experiences you've had and the things you know - and the writing is a sort of transmission of that", on her style.

"As sometimes happens, being away intensifies my feeling for the place", on writing NW on Willesden from New York City.
--
As for the writer's latest news, her new novel 'NW' will be published in London in September. It is apparently set in Willesden, North West London, where Zadie Smith grew up, which explains the title referring to the area's postcode. NW is also where I was recently leaving in London; a little more north tan Willesden, in Golders Green. One more reason why I cannot wait to read it!
More details:

No comments:

Post a Comment