19/09/2012

La Rentrée

The bus was right on time on the busiest boulevard of the city and it was really quick to arrive in the new posh district I had to head to this morning for work. On top of practicalities, the weather was also gorgeous and my future colleagues late, allowing me to spend a couple of extra hours reading the news and indulging myself on Twitter...

C'est la Rentrée. Two weeks after most of my fellows, I am starting to work again, on a full time basis, with regular work hours, in the capital and my hometown, a situation I have not known since 2008, having been a foreign correspondent pretty much all the time on the road.

For this new start, all is going greatly, but in case the call of freedom rings too high, I have a few plans B on the back of my mind...

1. Run back to Mexico, hide and register for this Spanish School in Oaxaca, I met a lovely Mexican man in this city who almost offered to host me in his family...

2.  Move back to Nairobi as a foreign correspondent and live happily everafter near Somalia and Somaliland, building new East African projects. I am sure my great former housemate could even manage to take me back and the beauty of Kenya allied to the welcome of East Africans would make it all easy and nice...

3. Run back to Mexico and start writing from there for various news outlets I already know are interested, look for a flatshare in the DF and "improve" my Spanish by hanging out with some friends of friends I met during this fantastic first trip...

Please vote for your favourite escape and let me know if you'll be on this road!

In the meantime, it is all business as usual home, and my first day has still not turned me running...



No comments:

Post a Comment