25/10/2019

Words in "Arnolfini"...


I'm very very proud to have been chosen as the new writer-in-residence in the Arnolfini Gallery, Bristol, this means a lot as a writer and is the perfect outcome for a special and intense journey in the UK... 

We don't know how this journey is going to end, but this will definitely involve some more write. 

Very grateful!






Very excited to announce our Writer in Residence for Still I Rise is Freelance journalist/reporter, radio producer and writer, Melissa Chemam. Her first published book, 'Massive Attack – Out of the Comfort Zone', on Bristol's music, art and politics, was released in the UK in March 2019 and is available to buy from @ArnolfiniBookshop. 
Here's a few words from Melissa:
I couldn’t be more thrilled to join the Arnolfini as their writer-in-residence, especially at this time for such a unique exhibition. The gallery is one of the first places I visited when I first came to Bristol almost 5 years ago, and I spent a lot of time here, being interested in your Graffiti Art display in July 2015 and deeply inspired by the art work of John Akomfrah. The themes of rebellion, resistance and feminism have been with me since my youth, as a protester myself since my teenage years, as the daughter/grand-daughter of Algerian freedom fighters and as a journalist. Travelling on four continents, I’ve also collected the thoughts of so many women whose lives are in themselves a form of resistance… These souvenirs already resonate with my first visit into the art rooms of ‘Still I Rise’ and I look forward to spending more time in this incredible environment.
Melissa writes for many publications such as The Public Art Review, Transfuge Magazine, Le Figaro, Le Monde, Skin Deep, The Bristol Cable, Bristol 24/7, CIRCA Art Magazine, The Times Literary Supplement and Public Pressure. Here's her review of Still I Rise in Public Pressure. 
Keep an eye on our page for more of Melissa's work during her residency.
-
See more on the gallery's facebook page:
-

My review of the exhibition here:

-

STILL I RISE: 

FEMINISMS, GENDER, RESISTANCE 

- ACT 3


Saturday 14 September 2019 to Sunday 15 December 2019, 11:00 to 18:00 Open Tuesday - Sunday, closed on Mondays.
Free
A large-scale exhibition of international artists, highlighting the experiences of women and celebrating their triumphs – and showing how the struggle for liberation is ongoing and hard-won.





No comments:

Post a Comment