04/06/2021

Colston, a year later


Now that we're reaching a year after the toppling of Colston's statue here in Bristol... I can see a lot of social media noise.

I came to Bristol in 2015 precisely to discuss these crucial post-colonial problems, when it was a non-issue for most. And I interviewed the people who actually campaigned for change, from Massive Attack's 3D to Cleo Lake.

So I'm going to focus on the debates coming up only if including people who have actually campaigned for the statue to be taken down or to change the context in which it was displayed, at least.

Whoever invites commentators who jumped on the bang-wagon on the day of the protests is disrespectful to real activists.

I want to share again some of the interviews I produced last year.

First and foremost Cleo Lake:


One of the real voices on these issues, involved in trying to raise a plaque to be posted by the statue, is Dr Shawn Sobers.

He is an Associate Professor at UWE, where I also teach, a researcher, photographer, and filmmaker on 'black' history here in Bristol.

Here I interviewed him in June 2020 on #BLM, Colston' statue and the role of the role of the arts against racism, for the radio I have reported for years, DW.
Unedited discussion in English:



Good luck to them and good luck to Bristol as we go through a strange time...

No comments:

Post a Comment