30/11/2018

The Good, The Bad & The Queen - 'Merrie Land'


Song of these last days of autumn...

The Good, The Bad & The Queen - 'Merrie Land' 







MERRIE LAND

If you are leaving Please still say goodbye And if you are leaving can you Leave me my Silver Jubilee mug My old flag My dark woods My sunrise If you are leaving Can you please say goodbye And if you are leaving Can you leave your number I’ll pack my case And get in a cab and wave you goodbye I’ll drive in the early hours down to the sea I’ll stand on the beach where the storms amplify All the voices I care for And the ghosts I hold sacred In this alignment that lasts for a day There’s nothing that I can do anyway, anyway What am I doing here waiting for you So rebuild the railways Firm up all the roads No one is leaving now this is your home And the horses, the foxes, the sheep and the cows Bow down on their knees To the fanfare of progress it’s always the same We cheer on the clowns as they roll into town But their faces look tired and sad to me And carry the terrible things they have seen All lost in a painting of a sky coloured oil In this Merrieland You are my crows, my window rattlers Perfumed valley criers Oh the dark ponds of Merrie England The deep space echoes Get on your mo…. What did you say? Get on your mobilised hooters … Get hold of those mobilised hooters You can fly to the moon one day They are half price This is not rhetoric It comes from my heart I love this country Daneland I am your kin You were the ones who work together Put the money in the pockets Of the few and their fortunes Who crowd the school benches And jeer at us all because they don’t care about us They are graceless and you shouldn’t be with them Because they are all disconnected and raised up in mansions And two hundred plastic bags in a whales stomach So you turn to the trident Are we green are we pleasant? We are not either of those Father We are a shaking wreck where nothing grows Lost in the sky coloured oils of Merrieland You can fly to the moon… one day

-
The Good, The Bad & The Queen



-

And this nice event can bring more meaning to the song, the album, and the relation the musicians have with their England:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46391087




Tea, cake and Brexit: What happened when Damon Albarn played a 200-capacity Geordie social club



No comments:

Post a Comment