22/01/2016

The refugee crisis, Giles Duley and Massive Attack


British trip hop group Massive Attack is including images of the refugee crisis in Europe taken by good friend and photographer, Giles Duley, into their European tour.

Together Massive Attack and Giles are encouraging people to support UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, the world’s leading organisation dedicated to saving lives, protecting human rights and building a better future for refugees who have been forced to flee their homes to escape conflict and persecution.
"For over a decade I’ve documented the impact of conflict on communities around the world. In all that time little has moved me as much as the ongoing refugee crisis across the Middle East and Europe. It's a defining event in our generation and I was honoured when UNHCR asked me to tell this story.
However it wasn’t just about taking photographs, it was about making sure people saw them. Which is why I wanted to collaborate with Massive Attack in using some of the images through their live shows.
I was in Lesvos last October and the scenes there were overwhelming. In all the time I’ve worked, I’ve never seen such emotion and humanity laid so bare as I witnessed on the beaches of Lesvos. One of the first emails I sent was to the guys in Massive Attack. Seeing such events, I felt so powerless, I needed to do something. At that stage I had no idea how the collaboration would work, but I knew the band would want to act.
Within minutes of seeing the images, they had replied to my email. As with me, they were shocked that this was Europe, this was now. So when they suggested using the images during their European tour it made total sense - as they played in Europe, they would be showing the scenes that were occurring all around us.
I feel incredibly proud to be collaborating with Massive Attack on this - but more importantly I think together we are raising awareness about this incredibly important, tragic and desperate issue. This is a defining moment, and we must all come together to act." Giles Duley

How you can support:

http://donate.unhcr.org/international/massiveattack


Giles Duley's incredible work:

http://tracks.unhcr.org/2015/12/war-survivor-focuses-lens-on-refugees#_ga=1.258504073.2076231035.1446650151


--



No comments:

Post a Comment