04/06/2016

Should They Stay Or Should They Go...



About this time of year, 19 years ago, I travelled to London with a friend. It wasn't my first time in the city, but it was my first free and wild visit, without adults or teachers, some funny few days between Soho and Camden Town, for two teenagers eager to discover the world, to escape the road from school to adult life.
It started in me a deep passion for England, that was becoming concrete, after years of reading into British bands' lyrics and films, theatre, novels, poetry. London didn't seem so close back then, it was so exotic for a Parisian, so exciting, so big and so energetic. It still is somehow.
How almost two decades have past, I don't know. It seems insane! Since then I've seen much much more of England, lived two years in London, visited a few other - very - different cities, and found a real passion for a different England in the West Country... Bristol changed my vision of the UK for sure, changed a bit of my life also.
I've never felt that a place was so much of my second home. And at the same time my hometown has never felt so estranged...
Now, United Kingdom, Britons, you're voting soon to choose either to leave or to remain in our European Union. It seems like the worst timing to separate...

What can I say? "Don't leave... Don't leave".
Well, I found out this song could actually be about our love as people more than as couples...
So, United Kingdom, see you soon, once you've vote. Well.

Radiohead - 'True Love Waits' - Live In Paris 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McOmif9yxbE




No comments:

Post a Comment