07/08/2015

3D and the Art of Massive Attack – in pictures in The Guardian


3D and the Art of Massive Attack – in pictures

This month, the Vinyl Factory publishes 3D and the Art of Massive Attack – a book that documents the visual history of the Bristol band. Here, Robert del Naja, aka 3D, explains the story behind some of the books best images

--

Link:
http://www.theguardian.com/music/gallery/2015/aug/07/3d-and-the-art-of-massive-attack-in-pictures

--



“This was taken on the set of the documentary Bombin’ (1987) - just a snapshot I took. It shows a very young Goldie, along with Brim and Bio from Tats graffiti crew in New York. I originally met Goldie and those guys at the Arnolfini gallery, when we were both spray painting and not making music yet.”

--




“These visuals were made for Massive Attack’s 100th Window Tour in 2003. It’s the first collaborative work I did with United Visual Artists. I wanted to produce a more kinetic show - using a pure LED format, to transmit data, pixel for pixel. Politically speaking, the visuals reflected what was happening around us at that time. It was the start of second Gulf War and I’d been very involved in the anti-war demonstration. Our tour began as the invasion started. The visuals acted as a reflection of the world and were updated in local language and used geo specific media.”

--




“This one’s called ‘Believer’ and is part of the Heligoland series I painted for the album. I like to make groups of paintings and flip the colours of some of them, like painting in negative. I painted 30 or 40 pieces for Heligoland. Some were sketches, not complete works, and some I deliberately left unfinished. They eventually became a collection that worked as a bigger idea. Like a series of songs for an album.”

--





“This is another image from the Heligoland album. I was trying to paint in lurid, bright colours for this series. Taking quite obnoxious, dark imagery and making it day-glo. I remember this from when I was buying antagonistic punk music, which was always pressed onto to this brightly coloured vinyl. Angry music with really bright colours. Provocative and ugly images painted in a bright garish way, with a theme of bad cultural stereotypes.”

--

And much more here:
http://www.theguardian.com/music/gallery/2015/aug/07/3d-and-the-art-of-massive-attack-in-pictures


No comments:

Post a Comment