18/04/2017

The heart against the world


The sound of April 2015... 



Jeff Buckley & Elizabeth Fraser - 
'All Flowers In Time Bend Towards The Sun'




and...


Elizabeth Fraser - 'Song to the Siren'  
Royal Festival Hall - 6 August 2012






Such a beautiful and tearing month at the same time.

Feelings and thoughts from April 2015 come back to my mind, a week before an important election here in France.

At the time, the United Kingdom was about to vote and chose to keep a majority that led to an unfolding series of political disasters.


While reporting there, on politics, and some other days on beauty, meaningfulness, art and music, I was overwhelmed by the contradictions of my work.

On the one hand, I was writing and speaking about the refugee crisis - at its peak that spring - and about the coming election and the focus on immigration.

On the other hand plunged into my research in Bristol for my coming book, full of hope but also expectations, as my research was also blocked by doubts a few days in that month. 

Such an intense moment. 

And here I am this April, two years later, author of that book, still haunted by my doubts about journalism and wishing I could do more... once again.

Music is indeed so profound and human and powerful, it is anything but disconnected from political matters, because politics is only the imperfect art of choosing how to live together in a given territory. So it is indeed an amount of affects, thoughts, feelings from individuals, who, most of the times, forget how connected they truly are.

And music has the immediate power to remind us of this connection.

-

So much could be added, but is it really necessary?
Let's talk more tomorrow...




No comments:

Post a Comment