17/04/2015

"Song to the Siren"


Cocteau Twins, This Mortal Coil, Elizabeth Fraser, Tim and Jeff Buckley linked in one song...

"Song to the Siren"

--


Tim Buckley's version:



Beautiful voice of Liz Fraser with the Cocteau Twins for This Mortal Coil in her version of the song:



--


Live from 1983:



--

Tim Buckley's "Song to the Siren" performed live by Elizabeth Fraser. The song was rarely played live by the Cocteau Twins - the only time I saw it was in December 1983 when they played ULU in London. The 2012 version sees Liz singing it live in the style of the Tim Buckley original vocal from 1968, rather than Liz's recorded performance with This Mortal Coil in 1983:




--

Jeff Buckley feat. Elizabeth Fraser - "All Flowers In Time Bend Towards The Sun":



--

Elizabeth Fraser later wrote the lyrics of "Teardrop" as an homage to her friend Jeff Buckley.

Massive Attack with Portishead and Liz Fraser- "Black Milk" / "Teardrop":



--

"Sing A Song For You" - Jeff Buckley (cover his father Tim Buckley):




--


The Siren is meant to be missing, like the sailor, like the fairy, right? And I am meant to be waiting if they're where my heart belongs. Where is my heart? I believed, this time, it was here with me. Still looking for it though.

--

The song's lyrics:


Long afloat on shipless oceans
I did all my best to smile
'Til your singing eyes and fingers
Drew me loving to your isle
And you sang
Sail to me, sail to me
Let me enfold you
Here I am, here I am
Waiting to hold you

Did I dream you dreamed about me ?
Were you hare when I was fox ?
Now my foolish boat is leaning
Broken lovelorn on your rocks
For you sing
'Touch me not, touch me not
Come back tomorrow
Oh my heart, oh my heart
Shies from the sorrow'

I am puzzled as the oyster
I am troubled as the tide
Should I stand amid your breakers ?
Or should I lie with death my bride ?
Hear me sing
'Swim to me, swim to me
Let me enfold you
Here I am, here I am
Waiting to hold you'




No comments:

Post a Comment